Macomb Prosecutor Lucido likely broke campaign law, state determines

The Trump-loving Republican used taxpayer resources to promote his campaign

Oct 21, 2024 at 3:13 pm
Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

click to enlarge Macomb County Prosecutor Peter Lucido. - Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office
Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office
Macomb County Prosecutor Peter Lucido.

Macomb County Prosecutor Peter Lucido likely violated the Michigan Campaign Finance Act when he distributed a county newsletter containing a link to his campaign website, the Michigan Department of State has determined.

State law prohibits the use of taxpayer-funded resources for campaign purposes.

The Department of State admonished Lucido, saying all campaign finance violations are a threat to democracy.

“While the monetary cost of commingling public and campaign emails may be minimal, the impact can be a significant advantage for campaign purposes,” the state wrote in its determination. “Additionally, public resources are used to maintain an email list and contact individuals that may not be on an email list for Pete Lucido’s campaign.”

In April, Mark Brewer, an attorney and the former chair of the Michigan Democratic Party, lodged a complaint against Lucido, a Republican, alleging he violated the Michigan Campaign Finance Act by using county funds, staff, and other public resources for his political campaign.

Brewer applauded the Department of State’s determination on Monday.

“This is a great victory for the taxpayers of Macomb County who shouldn’t have to subsidize Lucido’s political campaigns,” Brewer, an attorney with Goodman Acker P.C., said. “Lucido is finally being held accountable for his blatant and continuing violations of the Michigan Campaign Finance Act. This decision also prevents a major loophole from being opened up in the law: If he had been allowed to do this, any elected official could include a link to her or his campaign website in every email they sent.”

Lucido, an outspoken supporter of Donald Trump, now faces the option of settling the complaint, which would likely involve paying a fine and agreeing to comply with the law in the future. However, if he chooses not to settle, he could face a hearing and potential criminal referral to the Michigan Attorney General.

In a statement late Monday afternoon, Lucido downplayed the alleged violation, saying “a county employee … accidentally, and unknowingly, sent out an electronic newsletter for the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office that included one image with a non-visible link to my campaign site.”

Lucido said he plans to cooperate with state officials.

“The MDS found no evidence that this communication was deliberately used for campaign purposes, but apparently the department wants more information about this matter which I am glad to provide,” Lucido said. “I am confident we will be able to provide the information necessary to reach a full and final resolution of this matter.”

Lucido also criticized Brewer for filing the complaint.

“From the beginning, this entire matter was nothing more than a desperate attempt by Mr. Brewer to weaponize the State's campaign finance regulations for generating negative media coverage about my re-election campaign,” Lucido said.

Lucido is running for another term and will face Democrat Christina Hines in the November election.

The Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office has been marred by scandals since 2020, when Eric Smith resigned as prosecutor after being charged with 10 criminal counts alleging he embezzled money and committed misconduct in office.

Then came Lucido, a former state lawmaker who has been a polarizing presence since taking office in 2021. In his first term, Lucido has been accused of violating election laws, sexually harassing employees, firing a whistleblower, signing off on a “shady backroom deal” with a child abuser, surrounding himself with sexual abusers, and failing to alert the public about high-profile charges against two Warren cops.